OnMicro RFFE Application Solution｜Smartwatch
Smart wearables have gained considerable attention from society in recent years. As a major category of smart wearables, the smartwatch market is experiencing a rise owing to convenience and extensive features. According to CCS Insight, the global shipment volume of smartwatches (excluding fitness bands) increased from 37 million to 128 million with a remarkable CAGR of 28.2% during the period of 2016-2021 and is expected to reach 253 million units by 2025.
Smartwatch performance improvement depends on the development of the IC technology. With the iteration and upgrade of user needs, smartwatches become more integrated, compact, and lightweight to improve user experience. Compared to smartphones, smartwatches impose stricter requirements on the size, power consumption, and heat generation of internal components, which means the RF front-end module, the core component of the watch supporting information transmission and call functions, should be integrated as much as possible for the reduction of area.
OnMicro’s OM9385 is a highly integrated RF front-end module that excels in integration. It not only incorporates a complete PA (Power Amplifier), filters, and ASM (Antenna Switch Module), but also creatively integrates low-frequency, intermediate-frequency, and high-frequency components into a single module. This innovative design enables the module to provide a fully-integrated solution, integrating the transceiver to the antenna in single device.
Additionally, the OM9385 has the following features:
- LGA 62-pin package with dimensions of 6.5 x 8.6 x 0.75mm, the smallest size of full RF front-end solution in mass production, suitable for scenarios with strict size requirements such as smartwatches.
- Supports 3G/4G/5G multi-mode, internally integrated with mainstream frequency band filters such as Band 1, 3, 5, 8, 34, 39, 40, 41, eliminating the need for matching and debugging, reducing the time from R&D to mass production.
- Supports additional ASM and PA output, to support overseas band expansion or other types of applications.
- Enhanced efficiency by topology optimization, coordinated design of PA and filters, and streamlined matching, supports Average Power Tracking (APT) power-saving technology. Compared to traditional discrete solutions for mobile phones, it can save up to 46% power under the same antenna power, effectively extending the usage time of smartwatches per single charge.
- Meets CAT 1/4 power requirements, providing PC3 power at the antenna port (>=24dBm @ PRB/E-UTRA -38.5dBc).
- Integrates low-cost broadband and high-directional coupler, achieving precise forward power control while reducing power control errors caused by antenna mismatch.
OM9385 has received great recognition from smartwatch customers owing to its outstanding overall performance and compact size. After successfully passing the product certification and undergoing mass production, it is now poised for an official market launch.
OnMicro is a leading RF/Analog fabless company head-quartered in Beijing, China. The company reaches out to customers and provides services through sale/engineering support centers located in various parts of China as well as South Korean and Taiwan. Since its establishment, OnMicro has been focusing on the R&D, production and sales of RF front-end, RF SoC, Analog IC parts and new semiconductor devices, with annual IC unit shipments of more than 1 billion.
【Products & Application Field 】
OnMicro specializes in developing RF integrated circuit chips and analog integrated circuit chips utilized in wireless communication, power management, and RF front-end modules, providing reliable integrated circuits and peripheral products for smartphones, feature phones, tablets, personal computers, wireless mouses, keyboards, smart home products, automotive electronics, energy storage, photovoltaic inverter, etc.
Currently, the company’s core product line covers 6 broad categories and includes more than 400 sub-category chips: 2G/3G/4G/5G full series RF front-end (L-PAMiD/F, L-DiFEM, MMMB PA, Tx Module, RF Switch, LNA, Tuner Switch, etc.), Filter (Saw Filter, TC/TF Saw Duplexer, BAW, etc.), IoT SoC chip (Bluetooth BLE, dual mode Bluetooth, 2.4GHz wireless chip, etc.), MCU, Mixed-signal ICs, Power management chip, etc. For more information, please visit www.onmicro.com.cn